Wednesday, October 31, 2007

6

I've been trying to interview the owner of Markey's, Roy, for a little while now, actually since last Thursday. He's kind of hard man to catch. I guess if I were the owner of a bar I would be too. Most of the times I tried to get to him at Markey's, before I met him on Sunday, either he was out on errands or the bartenders had no idea at all where he was. Busy man. Bills to pay, a bar to run and all in New Orleans. This is a hard city to stay on time in. I'm not bent out of shape or anything. Actually, I'd probably do the same thing in his situation. Some random kid (although he figured out pretty immediately that I am from the University of Kentucky) trying to interview him about Markey's. Doesn't really make much sense at first glance. Hence the necessity of an interview.

Interviews are a lot harder to come by than I thought, very much a trial and error situation. Not to the extent that one party is being offended by the other's absence, more along the lines of people have a lot of stuff to take care of in business and life, i.e. today when called Roy he told me he was taking his daughter trick or treating tonight. You've got to do what you've got to do. In other words, you try to set up the interview on Sunday for Monday, fine. Monday rolls around and things have come up or the interviewee has completely forgotten. No hard feelings, just how things work sometimes. The only thing to get around such obstacles as bad memory and conflicting schedules is persistence.

On Sunday I finally caught Roy while he was at the bar watching the New Orleans Saints game against San Fransisco. The bar was packed. I knew, from one of the bartenders, that he always, without a doubt, watched Saints games at Markey's. Towards the end of the first half I found him. While he was walking through, I asked him about the interview. He responded in a very jovial, friendly way. Interview Monday at 1 p.m.

Monday at 1 p.m.: I get to Markey's and grab a seat at the bar, High Life draft. A half hour rolls by and no sign of him, another High Life draft. I asked the bartender, Lisa, when he was supposed to be in. He was out on errands, who knew, kind of a come and go sort of guy. I sat and watched tv with the five or so other people in the bar. The 10 Creepiest Places to Visit on the Travel Channel. I will say though, watching tv with the rest of the neighborhood is more entertaining and beneficial than by yourself. You might be talking about the validity of the belief in ghosts, but that simple act is a bonding agent. A little past 3 p.m., after the creepiest place turned out to be some plush hotel in Southern California (not creepy), he shows up with a scoop and other bar items in hand. He sincerely apologized. Had a lot to drink the night before, the Saints won their third straight and the Red Sox won the series in the fourth game--lot to drink about. He said, "Man I drank so much last night, I couldn't swallow when I woke up." Next time, Tuesday 1 p.m.

Tuesday at 1 p.m.: Similar situation, I showed up grabbed a seat and a beer and waited. After a while tv sucks you in. The bartender, this time Corinne, had on the Travel Channel again only this time the show was about vacation homes out West called "earthships". It's really easy to make light of the Travel Channel and as you can imagine jokes ensued and friendships were made. Strangely enough the Travel Channel also becomes more entertaining as the time passes. 3 p.m. rolls around. I ask about Roy, the bartender had no idea.

Wednesday 3 p.m.: I made another attempt. Same story, only this time the conversation was about Halloween costumes and how the news said sex offenders were being rounded up for "victim empathy" classes tonight so as not to prey on the unsuspecting. Lisa offered his number to me. I call him, he answers in his friendly way. No can do, taking his daughter trick or treating. I'm not complaining, it be very weird, wrong, if he passed up his daughter for an interview with me. New meeting time, Thursday 9 a.m.

No comments: